We deal with stress every day–so much so that you'd probably say you're used to it by now!
While stress may feel like any other part of life, you're body still struggles to deal with it. Stress depletes important (beautifying) minerals and actually affects the way you look by increasing sebum production, creating inflammation and sensitivity and impairing your skin's lipid barrier and your overall immune function.
Next time you find yourself in the midst of a stressful day, turn to these foods for some nutritional protection...
1. PUMPKIN SEEDS offer high content of magnesium, the mineral known to soothe the nerves and calm the body. Magnesium can also decrease migraines, so look into getting more of this mineral if you experience them frequently. Pumpkin seeds also provide zinc, a mineral that is quickly depleted under stressful conditions.
2. Ever wonder why you crave carbs during stressful times? Carbs help your body produce mood-boosting serotonin. Good news, OATMEAL has the same effect, and will keep you going much longer with stable blood sugar, thanks to it's high content of fiber.
3. Pack your diet with antioxidant-rich BERRIES (blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, goji berries–you name it) and your body will have an extra store of defenses against outside stress.
4. BANANAS contain a significant dose of potassium, essential for normal muscle function, and B6, one of the known stress-reducing vitamins. With a small dose of tryptophan as well, bananas are all-around great stress soothers.
5. While caffeine keeps you going, it's no ally when you're under stress. Try drinking GREEN TEA for a smaller dose of caffeine, plus antioxidant polyphenols–and the possibility that you'll even shed some pounds!