So often gorgeous skin gets credited to products and facials, but you and I know that there's another unnamed secret—a beautifying diet. Skin that gorgeous comes from the inside out!
This week esthetician Abigail James hosted a beauty Twitter event with UK Marie Claire and revealed one of the keys to Naomi Watts' glowing skin on the SAG Awards red carpet: a skin-nourishing juice. Here's what she had to say, I mean tweet:
"Naomi Watts' skin secret? Skin juice! Alkaline: cucumber, lemon, ginger, celery and apple. Super-boost with avocado!" -Abigail James, celebrity esthetician
Let's break down Naomi's beauty elixir:
- Cucumber is a powerful alkaline food that reduces water retention.
- Lemon detoxifies and supports healthy liver function.
- Ginger cools inflammation and redness and warms from the inside out.
- Celery contains silica for elastic and hydrated skin and hair.
- Apple detoxifies with natural pectin, while quercetin in apple skins defends against UVB damage.
- Avocado is full of healthy fats for strong cell membranes and hydrated skin, and it protects our mitochondria from damage.
While I don't have a recipe from Watts or James, below is my Burst of Spring Green Juice recipe (also featured at Organicspamagazine.com) that I absolutely love to get me through the winter with healthy, glowing skin. Enjoy- and here's to healthy, happy skin even before spring arrives!
Burst of Spring Green Juice
Jolene Hart, CHC, AADP
Make this juice ahead and bring it to the office for an afternoon energizer that’ll also brighten your mood. Use organic produce since you’ll be juicing these fruits and veggies peel and all.
- 1 granny smith apple, cored
- 1 bulb fennel, stalks removed
- 1 ½” piece fresh ginger root
- Chop the apple, fennel, cucumber and ginger (no need to peel) into chunks and process through a juicer.
Google Recipe View Microformatting by
Naomi Watts image via: Marie Claire Australia