*Congratulations to Jess Dixon, winner of the organic bath and body set from Moksa!*
The first day of spring is still a few weeks away (three to be exact- I'm counting), so I'm channeling my energy into preparation and organization as I await the new season. Spring is the ideal season for detox, and over the next three weeks I'll be bringing you tips on detoxing your beauty, your body, and your home, along with detox-friendly product giveaways from fabulous online natural beauty boutique O & N Collective. Each week will feature a new giveaway, so you'll have three chances to win great stuff!
This week we're talking all about detoxing your beauty routine, from your morning makeup to your evening skin care. For an introduction to chemicals in personal care products, I recommend taking a look at this powerful video, The Story of Cosmetics. Women apply an average of 12 personal care products daily (and the tally quickly surpasses that), which can mean exposure to 500+ different chemicals when your day is said and done. What's more, your skin is no barrier: 60% of what you apply to your skin absorbs into your body.
Detoxing your beauty routine helps reduce the toxic burden that your body deals with every day. Every product counts toward your overall wellness! Of course, when you first start to be your own advocate in the beauty world, it can be incredibly confusing to figure out where to start. I recommend going natural with these three products first:
- Lipstick: we consume several pounds of lipstick over a lifetime, and brands containing lead and petrochemicals pose serious risks. I recently posted an update about lead in lipsticks (it's still in there, strong as ever) with a list of my favorite natural lipstick alternatives that don't skimp on the glamour.
- Body lotion/oil: you cover almost the entire surface area of your body with lotion or oil, and you probably do it every time you shower. Here's where small amounts of parabens and phthalates accumulate into larger doses. For an organic body lotion and oil to swap into your routine, check out the giveaway below!
- Perfume: one synthetic fragrance contains hundreds of different chemicals, many of which are hormone disruptors and pose a health risk when inhaled (which we do, every time we spritz). Skip the toxic cloud and move on to a more natural option. Here's one I absolutely love. (For an interesting read on hidden chemicals in perfume, download the Environmental Working Group’s report, called Not So Sexy, right here)
When you go shopping for personal care:
- Ignore claims on the label. Go straight for the ingredient panel on the back of the product and look at the ingredients before you believe claims on packaging. Many companies 'greenwash' their products, making them seem more natural than they really are.
- Find a retailer you trust. Whether it's an online beauty boutique, a natural food store or a local retailer who knows naturals, use these outlets as sources of info and products you trust.
- Don’t go for the cheapest product. When it comes to naturals, you often pay for quality ingredients, that are better for your health in the long run.
- Look for ingredients you recognize. If you aren't sure about an ingredient (especially if you cant pronounce the name), check its background and rating on the Cosmetics Safety Database.
And now for the fun stuff:
This week's giveaway will help you detox your beauty routine with three amazing natural body products from O & N Collective, by Moksa (a $45.50 value):
- The Amazon Lemon Exfoliating Body Bar (one of O & N's best sellers!) is made with a blend of certified organic ingredients, including ground lemon peel, rosemary extract and poppy seeds.
- The Organic Grapefruit + Ylang Ylang Body Oil combines organic jojoba and sweet almond oils with a blend of essential oils and rosemary extract.
- The Organic Grapefruit + Ylang Ylang Body Butter is a personal favorite of Michelle Witherby, the founder of O & Collective. It's a rich organic shea butter with jojoba and sweet almond oil, scented with notes of grapefruit, ylang ylang, jasmine and neroli- a gorgeous scent of the tropics to awaken you from your winter hibernation.
To enter the giveaway, leave a comment on this post telling me one way you're detoxing your beauty this spring by the end of the day (Midnight EST) next Monday, March 5th. The winner will be contacted Tuesday, March 6th. One entry per person.
A huge thanks to O&N Collective for the natural product giveaways!
O & N Collective is an online beauty boutique all about beauty with a conscience. The boutique brings you safe, nontoxic, organic & natural skin care, personal care and lifestyle products. It carries some of my favorite natural beauty brands!