This week esthetician Abigail James hosted a beauty Twitter event with UK Marie Claire and revealed one of the keys to Naomi Watts' glowing skin on the SAG Awards red carpet: a skin-nourishing juice. Here's what she had to say, I mean tweet:
"Naomi Watts' skin secret? Skin juice! Alkaline: cucumber, lemon, ginger, celery and apple. Super-boost with avocado!" -Abigail James, celebrity esthetician
Let's break down Naomi's beauty elixir:
- Cucumber is a powerful alkaline food that reduces water retention.
- Lemon detoxifies and supports healthy liver function.
- Ginger cools inflammation and redness and warms from the inside out.
- Celery contains silica for elastic and hydrated skin and hair.
- Apple detoxifies with natural pectin, while quercetin in apple skins defends against UVB damage.
- Avocado is full of healthy fats for strong cell membranes and hydrated skin, and it protects our mitochondria from damage.
While I don't have a recipe from Watts or James, below is my Burst of Spring Green Juice recipe (also featured at Organicspamagazine.com) that I absolutely love to get me through the winter with healthy, glowing skin. Enjoy- and here's to healthy, happy skin even before spring arrives!
|Burst of Spring Green Juice||
- 1 granny smith apple, cored
- 1 bulb fennel, stalks removed
- 1 ½” piece fresh ginger root
- Chop the apple, fennel, cucumber and ginger (no need to peel) into chunks and process through a juicer.
Naomi Watts image via: Marie Claire Australia