As a follow-up to my post on vegan and vegetarian sources of the anti-aging, anti-acne mineral zinc, here's my recipe for Spicy Sundried Tomato Hummus, a snack that's brimming with good plant-based sources of zinc: chickpeas and tahini.
Dip some raw mushrooms into this hummus for an even bigger zinc beauty boost!
Spicy Sundried Tomato Hummus
This snack is packed with anti-aging zinc! Adjust the cayenne to taste and serve warm with cool, crunchy veggies.
- 1/3 cup sundried tomatoes, rehydrated and drained
- 2 15 oz cans (about 3½ cups) garbanzo beans, drained and cooking liquid reserved
- 1 organic lemon, peeled and seeded
- tsp minced lemon peel
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 1/8 tsp cumin
- Pinch of cayenne
- sea salt to taste
- Microwave garbanzo beans for one minute to warm, stirring halfway.
- Combine garbanzos, lemon, peel, sundried tomatoes, tahini, olive oil and ½ cup reserved cooking liquid in a Vitamix, food processor or other high-powered blender until fluffy and smooth.
- Stir in the last ¼ cup reserved cooking liquid as needed to thin, and add cumin, cayenne and sea salt to taste.
- Drizzle with olive oil before serving.